Please remember to use extreme care and always let people know about the spiciness of the drink before you serve them.
1-2 medium sized Ghost Peppers
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of water
*Please start with putting on rubber gloves. Be very careful when handling the peppers, we have heard horror stories. Protect your eyes and remember to wash everything thoroughly once you are done as you don’t need your cutting board to add spice to everything for weeks on end!*
- Slice off the stem and cut the pepper in half. For a super intense heat keep the seeds intact. Remove the seeds for a less intense flavour.
- Add the sugar to the pan and let it warm up, stirring constantly and being very careful that it doesn’t begin to burn.
- Add the water and peppers and stir to combine.
- Once the mixture has come to a fast boil, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. You will notice it will start to thicken and may possibly take on a bit of colour from the peppers.
- Remove the sugar water from the heat and let it cool until it reaches room temperature (approx 30-40 mins)
- Once cool, remove the pieces of pepper and any seeds.
- Pour the syrup into a sealable container and refrigerate. It is best to use it up within the first 2 weeks since the peppers can change the flavour of the syrup after a prolonged period of time.
*See submitted cocktail suggestions for Ghost Pepper Simple Syrup*